Monday, October 6, 2008

Memories of Daddy

I love being in the office before anyone gets here.

I love working out here, in the mountains. All right, you West Coasters are laughing at me, but to my born and bred Texan ass, these are mountains. It's green and peaceful and removed from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the city.

There's a creek that flows right behind the office. Sometimes, if it's light out and I'm feeling invincible, I'll go down to the water in the morning, take off my shoes, and just stand in the water. I throw my head back, close my eyes, and just stand in the water, letting myself be reborn in the quiet.

I have a busy day today. I think I'm seeing three families today, which is unusual. Usually I see at most two families, and a handful of widows and children. I don't get that many men, primarily because Audra (that's boss-woman) says I don't work well with men.

I don't think that's true. I just think that Audra assumes I don't work well with men because I'm a lesbian. But what she doesn't know is that my sun rises and sets upon my father, and I have a younger brother who I adore. They are two of the most compassionate, artful, magical people on the planet, and never could the fact of their penises diminish them in my eyes. They are glorious beings, Dad and Jack. In fact, they're a large part of the reason I became a grief counselor. When Mom died, Dad lost so much of himself. It's a personal goal of mine to help other people get their souls back since I could never seem to help Daddy get his.

Well. I didn't mean to go there. I actually intended to start this as an upbeat post. But I guess that's what happens when you allow yourself to speak what you're really thinking.

Is it too early to be looking forward to the new year?

No comments: